Sunday, March 23, 2014

Devotional: Combating Lies 7

Good morning all! It's time again for a Sunday Devotional. My series right now is looking at different lies that we may believe about ourselves, and how to combat those lies using scripture. Here are number one, number two, and number three , and number four  and number five  and number 6 if you are interested!

The seventh lie is this: There is nothing special about me. 

The truth is: I have been chosen/set apart by God.


Key Scriptures: 

Psalm 139:
You have searched me, Lord, and you know me. You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar. You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways...
It goes on, find the entire chapter here

1 Corinthians 1:30
It is because of him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God—that is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption.

1 Corinthians 6:11
And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

2 Thessalonians 2:13 
But we ought always to thank God for you, brothers and sisters loved by the Lord, because God chose you as first fruits to be saved through the sanctifying work of the Spirit and through belief in the truth.

With so many people in the world doing so many of the same things, it can be difficult to feel as though we're original, special, worthy of being singled out in any way. Especially as a blogger I can relate to this because when I visit other blogs there are times when I somehow come away feeling discouraged about my own blog, rather than inspired (which is what I should be feeling!). I look at others' content and think, "why can't I be a great writer like them," or, "wow, my photos aren't nearly as good as hers." It's the ol' monster of comparison that likes to creep up and steal all those good things from me. But you know what? I just have to body slam that monster like a pro-wrester with a chair and remind myself that I am not special because of my photos, clothes, abilities, etc. I am special because God SET ME APART for the work He is doing in me. If I just simply focus on that fact, all the extraneous stuff will fall away. You need to remember that God chose you because He knows who you are at heart level. The outside fades away, but who we our soul-deep is quite permanent. We are so special in His eyes and He wants to use our talents and abilities to bring others to Him, no matter what those abilities may be! Isn't that exciting? That silly hobby you love could just be the thing God is using to bring others to Him (even though you might not see it now). 
So stop comparing yourself to others and believing that you aren't anything special compared to person who has more worldly fame than you, and start knowing how special you are in the eyes of your Creator :)

God Bless! 
KJA



 
 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Katie, for this inspirational message today!